Woven Shelves Barstool DIY

Living in the attic of a retired biology teacher gives me a lot of access to many different materials to fuel my DIY obsession.

img_1381

 

I needed an end table and found this bar stool lying around, the main issue was creating shelves in as low-tech a way as possible. I decided weaving would be the sturdiest option with crochet edges to tighten it all together, the shelves then had plenty of tension to support plants, knick-knacks, and brick-a-brack.

 

 

 

 

 

I began by wrapping yarn between two rungs on the stool, I made one consistent layer of yarn, this is what I would weave into.  I then strung a contrasting color over and under every two pieces of yarn, keeping the rows about a half inch apart.  I repeated this process on the top rungs.

 

 

 

 

I knotted the ends together then crocheted a single stitch up the loose ends, effectively hiding them, tightening the weave, and adding a border.

 

 

And that’s that! Free, adorable, personalized end table.

 

Propagating succulents – 1 month

After one month of patience and obsession, I’m pleased to present…roots!  I’ve learned a lot and am excited to have developed a method to continue growing succulents.

 

Propagating succulents seemed too easy, so I had to try it for myself.  First I went down to my local big box hardware store and picked up a few succulents off of the sales rack, they were nice and leggy so I didn’t feel bad taking them apart, and they only cost a dollar each!

I also bought some clear Tupperware to keep the plants relatively safe around my cats, I cut strips out of the top to allow for more air flow and light.

Next I plucked the leaves off and laid them out to callous over, after about a day they were ready to be laid over cactus soil.  I made sure to spray the leaves generously with water once a day.

About two weeks in some leaves had some tiny roots, and after three half of my leaves showed some really beautiful roots.

Today I took out the more mature plants I had my leaves laid out amongst and planted them separate, they require much less water than the leaves.

After taking out the leaves that were wilted and had no signs of roots, I had twenty five promising, rooting plants.  About a 50% success rate.

I’m quite pleased with the results and will be continuing the process until I have ninety wedding favors!

 

Pineapple Stitch Variation

I fell into a Pinterest hole the other day looking for a new stitch to try when I came across a vintage picture of the “Pineapple Stitch”.  I got started right away, this stitch gives a beautiful thickness and texture to the blanket and the color changes were really exciting.

In the post it described a second row that I didn’t like because it began bunching and curling, so I pulled the first few rows and tried again with the following variation.

Chain a row (70).

Insert hook into first chain, pull through skip one chain, insert hook and pull through, yarn over and pull through three loops on hook.

**Chain one.

Insert hook into the stitch you worked last (the second stitch you pulled through), skip one chain, pull through the next.  Yarn over and pull through. ** Repeat to the end of the row.

At the end of the row chain three, pull through very first stitch, skip one, pull through the second.  You should have three on your hook, yarn over and pull through.

*Repeat star to star*

For my blanket: four rows of my primary color (neon pink) then one row each of grey, yellow, purple, and navy, then back to pink.  Because of all the color changes there were a lot of strings hanging off the end that inspired the fringed border.

This was a personal variation of a pineapple stitch I found on Pinterest, it took a bit of finagling to keep the ends even.

 

 

Snow Day Crochet (and other activities that don’t rhyme as well)

We’ve had a few snow days recently, I took the time to finish up a few projects around the attic. 

 

Two blankets combining the moss stitch and half double.  The cats have a really hard time watching me crochet, they usually end up on top of whatever I’m working on.

 

 

We took a walk down to the local convenience store for some supplies, wandered about Fulton Park and held hands a lot.

 

 

Repotted some plants I rescued from the sale section at Lowe’s, hung a string to help keep my vine plant off the floor, it seems happier with the support.

 

img_1141

Spent every minute with these guys.

Propagating succulents 

The big idea: “DIY” succulent wedding favors doubling as place cards.

The specs: propagate succulents; create, assemble, find tiny planters; grow 90 by August then let love grow.

Suggestions, encouragement, and random facts welcome!

img_1095

A “mama”

 

First step, as always; research.  I’ve scrolled past some Pinterest posts regarding succulent propagation and care, the information was out there.  Turns out, multiplying your succulents is (supposedly) really easy! Simply pluck leaves, lay them on dirt, spray with water, and wait.

I had one very specific obstacle to overcome, the cats.  The succulents do best in a low, flat tray of dirt with lots of indirect sunlight.  Open tops aren’t exactly an option with curious paws about, so I bought  shallow Tupperware and cut out several openings on top; thus deterring said paws while letting in sunlight.

I started these plants two weeks ago, I may be seeing roots but it’s hard to tell, one consistent tip I learned in my Pinterest research: patience.