After one month of patience and obsession, I’m pleased to present…roots! I’ve learned a lot and am excited to have developed a method to continue growing succulents.
Propagating succulents seemed too easy, so I had to try it for myself. First I went down to my local big box hardware store and picked up a few succulents off of the sales rack, they were nice and leggy so I didn’t feel bad taking them apart, and they only cost a dollar each!
I also bought some clear Tupperware to keep the plants relatively safe around my cats, I cut strips out of the top to allow for more air flow and light.
Next I plucked the leaves off and laid them out to callous over, after about a day they were ready to be laid over cactus soil. I made sure to spray the leaves generously with water once a day.
About two weeks in some leaves had some tiny roots, and after three half of my leaves showed some really beautiful roots.
Today I took out the more mature plants I had my leaves laid out amongst and planted them separate, they require much less water than the leaves.
After taking out the leaves that were wilted and had no signs of roots, I had twenty five promising, rooting plants. About a 50% success rate.
I’m quite pleased with the results and will be continuing the process until I have ninety wedding favors!