Propagating Succulents, 3 months

I started my succulent cuttings around January 26th, it’s now mid-April and I’ve been documenting some really exciting results.

img_1581

My last post noted some beautiful, healthy looking roots; these roots led to the cutest, tiniest succulents I’ve ever seen in person.  Here are the final steps to my succulent propagation experiment.

Once roots begin to form, give them some room.  I repurposed an old egg carton to hold each cutting separately.  Continue to spray with water every day until a small plant begins to appear, cut watering to twice a week, once they’re a half inch, once a week.  Once your plant has fully rooted in its final pot, you can treat it like any other hardy succulent, water when it dries completely, give it lots of bright light (not direct, these baby leaves burn!) and enjoy.

Advertisements

Propagating succulents – 1 month

After one month of patience and obsession, I’m pleased to present…roots!  I’ve learned a lot and am excited to have developed a method to continue growing succulents.

 

Propagating succulents seemed too easy, so I had to try it for myself.  First I went down to my local big box hardware store and picked up a few succulents off of the sales rack, they were nice and leggy so I didn’t feel bad taking them apart, and they only cost a dollar each!

I also bought some clear Tupperware to keep the plants relatively safe around my cats, I cut strips out of the top to allow for more air flow and light.

Next I plucked the leaves off and laid them out to callous over, after about a day they were ready to be laid over cactus soil.  I made sure to spray the leaves generously with water once a day.

About two weeks in some leaves had some tiny roots, and after three half of my leaves showed some really beautiful roots.

Today I took out the more mature plants I had my leaves laid out amongst and planted them separate, they require much less water than the leaves.

After taking out the leaves that were wilted and had no signs of roots, I had twenty five promising, rooting plants.  About a 50% success rate.

I’m quite pleased with the results and will be continuing the process until I have ninety wedding favors!

 

Propagating succulents 

The big idea: “DIY” succulent wedding favors doubling as place cards.

The specs: propagate succulents; create, assemble, find tiny planters; grow 90 by August then let love grow.

Suggestions, encouragement, and random facts welcome!

img_1095

A “mama”

 

First step, as always; research.  I’ve scrolled past some Pinterest posts regarding succulent propagation and care, the information was out there.  Turns out, multiplying your succulents is (supposedly) really easy! Simply pluck leaves, lay them on dirt, spray with water, and wait.

I had one very specific obstacle to overcome, the cats.  The succulents do best in a low, flat tray of dirt with lots of indirect sunlight.  Open tops aren’t exactly an option with curious paws about, so I bought  shallow Tupperware and cut out several openings on top; thus deterring said paws while letting in sunlight.

I started these plants two weeks ago, I may be seeing roots but it’s hard to tell, one consistent tip I learned in my Pinterest research: patience.

 

 

Bridesmaid Proposals

I decided to have a little fun when asking my ladies to be in my bridal party, I made them all personalized gift bags with a journal, a card with proposal, bracelets, and fortune cookies.

 

 

The fortune cookies are my favorite part, I bought them in bulk and convinced my fiancé to ask our favorite Chinese place for some takeout containers.  I unwrapped them and dipped them in chocolate, rolled them in sprinkles, and let them harden.  I put five in each container with a paper cookie that I made with a nonsense fortune inside.  It was very sweet and the reactions were priceless, it’s giving me some great momentum for more wedding planning!

The bracelets were a process in themselves, the main issue I had to overcome was a one size fits all option.  I decided to use some stretchy string on one side and leather on the other.  It became easier to put on and kept the bead strands in a random wrapped pattern.